Sunday, March 9, 2014

Writitng Exercises


Hi everyone! It’s been quite a while hasn’t it? I hope you’re all doing well and getting plenty of good writing in. J So today I want to share with you a writing exercise I came up with while doing some brainstorming for my current WIP. I recently had the opportunity to do a group interview at one of the local retail stores here in town. They brought in six people, including myself, and had us all interview together taking turns answering questions and one of the questions they asked us was, “What two words would you use to describe yourself?” I thought, Oh this’ll be easy! Piece of cake! ^^ Not so. Have you ever tried to come up with only two words that would wholly encompass who you are and still do justice to your character? Well it wasn’t exactly easy, but while sitting at my desk thinking about my WIP, I thought, What if I tried to use just two words to describe my characters? It was actually a great exercise. I’m still working on it for a couple more characters, but it really makes you think about them and dig deep into what makes each character uniquely who they are. I’ll share a couple examples just so that you can see a few of mine.
 
Charming and Elusive
Swarthy and Cunning
Adventurous and Delicate
 

Of course these could be a little stronger, but you get the idea. Plus as you keep working on your story and your characters change, sometimes so should some of their words, but not all the time. In fact, because these words should describe the core of your character, these words will rarely change, but that doesn’t mean you can’t fine tune them a little more, not to mention that if you’ve got a seriously dynamic character who changes during the course of the story, his core could change a little too.

Try it out and see what you think. If you want, share one or two of yours in the comments below! ^^ :D

No comments:

Post a Comment